Wrongful Death Lawyer in Cedar Park
If your family has suffered the death of a loved one in Cedar Park, Texas, we first want to extend our condolences. The unexpected loss of a family member is an indescribable tragedy. Then, we invite you to explore your family’s legal rights during a free consultation with one of our wrongful death lawyers.
If someone should have prevented the death of your relative, that person or party may be financially responsible for the fatal incident. At Craft Law Firm, we will explain your options and help you take the first steps toward justice for your loved one.
Why We’re the Right Choice for Your Wrongful Death Case in Cedar Park
- Our lawyers have a reputation for unparalleled customer service, excellence in and out of the courtroom, and a long track record of obtaining positive results for wrongful death cases in Texas.
- We are a small, boutique-style law firm that is selective in its cases so that we can dedicate individual attention to each client. We will treat your family like our own.
- Our Cedar Park wrongful death lawyers take cases on a contingency fee basis. This means we won’t charge your family anything upfront – you’ll only pay if we win your case.
What Is Wrongful Death? Do You Have a Case?
According to Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code Section 71.002, wrongful death is the death of an individual caused by another person’s wrongful act, neglect, carelessness, unskillfulness or default. In Texas, the person guilty of the act or omission that took the victim’s life can be held liable for damages that arise from the death. This means that the individual must pay for costs and losses associated with the death.
A family may be able to bring a wrongful death cause of action in Cedar Park if one or more parties reasonably could have prevented the death but negligently failed to do so. Negligence is the failure to act with proper care based on the situation. In general, a wrongful death claim is available to surviving family members if the deceased individual (known as the decedent) would have been able to file a personal injury case had he or she survived the incident.
Who Can File a Wrongful Death Claim in Texas?
Texas law is specific about who can and cannot file a wrongful death lawsuit. It gives this right to the decedent’s surviving spouse, child or children, and parents in the first three months following the death. If none of these parties files (and they do not object to the filing of a claim in writing), the personal representative or administrator of the decedent’s estate can file after three months have passed.
What Damages Are Available in a Wrongful Death Lawsuit?
The damages, or financial compensation, that may be available in a wrongful death case vary. While no dollar amount will ever be enough to pay for the loss of a life, obtaining a fair and full amount can help a family gain closure and pay for costs related to the death. Available damages may include:
- Reasonable funeral and burial expenses
- Lost income and earning capacity over the decedent’s projected lifetime
- Lost inheritance
- Loss of the household services, maintenance, support and advice that the decedent would have provided to family members
- The family’s loss of the decedent’s love, companionship, comfort and society
- The surviving family’s mental anguish and grief
If a wrongful death case involves negligence that goes beyond ordinary carelessness (gross negligence), a wanton disregard for the safety of the victim or malicious intent to harm the victim, the defendant may also be made to pay punitive damages. This is an additional amount meant to punish the defendant for especially wrongful acts.
Consult With a Cedar Park Wrongful Death Lawyer for Free Today
The preventable loss of a loved one’s life is one of the worst tragedies imaginable. At Craft Law Firm, our mission is to assist families in Cedar Park, Texas in the search for answers and accountability within the civil justice system. We can help your family file a wrongful death claim and demand maximum financial compensation from one or more defendants on your behalf.
If you recently lost a loved one in a fatal accident in Cedar Park or a nearby city, don’t hesitate to contact us to request a free consultation. We are here for you and your family during this difficult time. Call us at 512-379-5873.