Houston Wrongful Death Lawyer
When a loved one dies unexpectedly in a fatal accident, the devastation is overwhelming. We know that while nothing can bring a loved one back, holding responsible parties accountable for their actions can provide some consolation and prevent them from hurting someone else. Contacting a Houston wrongful death lawyer at Craft Law Firm is the first step.
If you have lost someone that you love due to someone else’s carelessness, Craft Law Firm, P.C. can help. Our team of compassionate and qualified lawyers is here to support you through this difficult time and help secure the financial compensation you are entitled to. Contact us today to schedule a free case consultation with one of our Houston injury attorneys.
Why Choose Craft Law Firm, P.C.
- We are selective with the cases we take on – that way we can provide your case with the attention to detail, quality, and time it deserves.
- We understand that this is one of the worst times in our clients’ lives and we do everything we can to help them navigate what has become the new normal in their lives.
- We have a reputation for excellence, and our track record of success/results reflects that.
What Is Wrongful Death?
Wrongful death in Texas is defined as a death that occurs due to a “wrongful act, neglect, carelessness, unskillfulness, or default” where one person causes the death of another.
Wrongful death refers to when a person is killed or dies due to the negligence or wrongful doings of another person or company. Examples include vehicular death, workplace accident, and many others. The surviving members of the victim’s family may sue the responsible parties under these circumstances.
- A successful wrongful death lawsuit must have a clear cause of action with the following elements:
- The death of one or more people
- The death must be caused by someone else’s negligence or done with the intent to cause harm
- Surviving family members must demonstrate harm, such as economic loss or psychological harm
Causes of Wrongful Death
A wrongful death lawsuit may result from a number of unfortunate circumstances, including but not limited to the following situations:
- Automobile, truck, motorcycle, or bicycle accident
- Distracted driving
- Drunk driving
- Airplane crash
- Exposure to toxic chemicals or situations
- Workplace accident
- Elevator, escalator, or other similar malfunction
- Defective products such as unsafe tires and vehicles
Who Can File a Wrongful Death Claim in Texas?
According to Texas law, the surviving spouse, adult children, or parents of the deceased person are eligible to file a wrongful death lawsuit.
What Is the Time Limit to File a Wrongful Death Claim?
A statute of limitations, or time limit for filing, will apply to all death cases in the United States, but the timeframe will vary depending on the state in which a person lives and/or the state in which they were injured. The statute of limitations in Texas is two years from the date your loved one died. This means you must file your wrongful death claim within two years after you lost your loved one, or you may lose the ability to recover compensation.
What Types of Compensation Are Available?
- In a wrongful death claim, you may be able to recover financial compensation for the following range of losses you have suffered from the death of your loved one:
- Lost earning capacity of the deceased person
- Lost care, maintenance, services, support, advice, and counsel the deceased would have otherwise provided his or her surviving family members
- The pain and suffering experienced by the surviving family as a result of losing their loved one
- The loss of companionship, comfort, and society of the deceased person
- The lost inheritance, including what the deceased person would likely have saved and left to surviving family members if he or she had lived
Why You Should Hire a Houston Wrongful Death Lawyer
Hiring a Houston wrongful death lawyer in Houston is valuable for many reasons. Your lawyer will be available to answer any questions you may have and will stand by you through every stage of the legal process. You will not have to worry about the filing time limit or filling out legal paperwork because your lawyer will make sure it is all taken care of. In addition, when you hire an attorney, you will have someone with the knowledge, resources, and experience to investigate the death of your loved one, gather sufficient evidence, and prepare the case for trial, if necessary.
Contact a Houston Wrongful Death Lawyer
If your family is suffering after the loss of a loved one, contact a Houston wrongful death lawyer at Craft Law Firm, P.C. to find out how we can help you hold the responsible parties accountable. Our team of dedicated and experienced trial lawyers understands that you are dealing with a lot and will be by your side every step of the way.
At Craft Law Firm, P.C., we recognize that this may be one of the most difficult times in your life, and we want to ease the legal process for you in any way we can and bring you a level of peace. Our goal is to provide you with the support and resources you need while you are grieving. Contact us today to set up a free consultation.