Georgetown Car Accident Lawyer
Every year, Texas is one of the states with the highest number of car accidents in the country. Your odds of being involved in a motor vehicle collision are relatively high as a resident of Georgetown or Williamson County. If you get injured in a car accident on I-35, while commuting to or from Austin, on State Highway 29, or elsewhere in Georgetown, you may be eligible for financial compensation.
Discuss your case with a car accident attorney at Craft Law Firm to learn your rights. We are dedicated and experienced car accident lawyers who can help you in many ways after a crash.
What Can a Car Accident Attorney Do for You?
A car accident attorney will work for you and you alone. He or she will have your best interests in mind when filing your claim, negotiating a settlement with a car insurance company and representing you at trial. The right lawyer can transform your experience as a crash victim and improve the financial outcome of your case through services such as comprehensive accident investigation, evidence collection and exceptional claim litigation.
Texas Car Accident Laws
Dealing with the legal side of a car accident case is something that you can trust an attorney to do for you. It can be helpful, however, to have at least a basic understanding of Texas’s car accident laws as an injured victim. Three of the most important laws to know are:
- Fault or “tort” car insurance law. Under this law, an injured accident victim files an insurance claim against the driver or party at fault for causing the crash. In a no-fault state, all drivers seek benefits from their own insurers, regardless of fault.
- Car accident statute of limitations. This is a two-year filing deadline for most car accident cases in Texas. You may have significantly less time, however, if you are filing a claim against the government in Georgetown.
- Modified comparative negligence law. This law states that if a victim contributed to the car accident, this reduces his or her financial recovery by a percentage that is equivalent to the amount of fault.
Your Georgetown personal injury lawyer will help you navigate these laws and avoid common mistakes that are often made by victims after car accidents, such as admitting fault or failing to report a car accident. Having an attorney throughout the recovery process can improve your odds of a successful case.
10 Steps to Take After a Car Accident in Georgetown
Immediately after a car accident, there are certain things that you should do to protect yourself physically and financially. We understand that it can be difficult to remember these steps, however, in the chaotic and stressful aftermath of a crash. Screenshot or print this list of 10 general steps to take:
- Call 911 from the scene to report the car accident.
- Give your side of the story to the police and get your police report number.
- Don’t admit fault.
- Exchange information with the other driver.
- Write down the names and phone numbers of eyewitnesses.
- Take pictures at the scene and search for nearby surveillance cameras.
- Go to a hospital for immediate medical care.
- Report the crash to your car insurer and follow the instructions for bringing your car to a shop.
- Contact the other driver’s car insurance company to file an injury or property damage claim.
- Consult with a car accident lawyer in Georgetown before accepting a settlement.
With these actions, you will be in a stronger position to pursue financial compensation from the driver or party that caused your crash. You will also be on your way to recovering from the accident with proper medical care and vehicle repairs.
Contact a Georgetown Car Accident Lawyer Today
After a serious and traumatic car accident, you can rest and enjoy greater peace of mind if you hire a lawyer to take care of the legal work of your case for you. Craft Law Firm is a trusted source of exceptional legal representation and services in Georgetown, Texas. Contact us to get started with a free initial case evaluation. Speak to one of our attorneys by calling (713) 225-0500 today.