Worker Seriously Injured in Forklift Accident
Forklifts are readily found at construction sites, factories, and other industrial locations across Texas. Even though they typically move at slower speeds, they still require care, focus, and training to operate correctly and safely and to hopefully prevent and avoid a forklift accident. There are over a million forklifts operating in the United States alone, and over 1.5 million forklift operators.
The federal Occupational and Safety Health Administration (OSHA) estimates 35,000 serious injuries and 62,000 non-serious injuries involving forklifts occur every year. Recently, a 40 year-old worker was seriously injured when a piece of machinery fell on him. The portable forklift he was using to move the machine toppled over and pinned him underneath.
OSHA’s forklift safety standards are designed to keep workers safe. It is a violation of federal law for individuals under the age of 18 years to operate a forklift. Furthermore, it is also a violation of federal law for anyone over the age of 18 years who is not properly trained and certified to operate a forklift. OSHA provides specific safety requirements for forklifts.
What Can Cause A Forklift Accident Injury?
Forklift accident injuries can be caused by a variety of scenarios. Some of the most common causes include:
- An industrial horn is not available or is not used as required
- Defective forklifts
- Failing to inspect the forklift before each use, including seat belts, tires, lights, and more
- Failing to wear a seatbelt
- Failure to properly maintain the forklift
- Forklifts without visual or audio warning equipment or where such equipment is defective
- Forklift-related code violations
- Lack of proper training and knowledge of forklift operation
- Lack of required licensing
- Operating a forklift carelessly
- Speeding or otherwise failing to abide by the rules of the road
- Tipping over due to overloading or unstable loading
Workplace Accident Lawyers
Were you injured in a forklift accident? Someone else’s neglect may have caused you physical and emotional pain. You deserve quality representation from a forklift injury attorney who understands your situation — and how it can best be remedied. Our experienced legal team has achieved significant successes, and we’ll make every effort to get each client what they deserve.
Ready to get started? Contact us today to chat with an experienced forklift injury lawyer at Craft Law Firm. We help forklift accident victims all across the US and are prepared to fight for you to get you the most from your forklift injury claim.