According to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) over 4,500 workers die on the job each year from workplace accidents, and thousands more are injured. While employers have certain responsibilities to their employees to keep them safe, there are many ways an employee can be injured on the job.
Some of the most common workplace accidents include:
- Overexertion is the most common workplace injury. It can occur anytime an employee is lifting, carrying, pulling, or otherwise moving a heavy load.
- Falls either from a height or on the same level can cause serious injuries. Slipping on wet surfaces or failure to provide safety harnesses or nets are some of the most cited violations by OSHA inspectors.
- Struck by accidents happen when a worker is struck by a falling object or struck by a piece of machinery.
- Motor vehicle accidents at the workplace and on the job site can be particularly devastating because many of the vehicles involved are large trucks or pieces of heavy equipment.
- Repetitive motions might be less obvious, but can include typing, staring at a computer, or any continuous movement.
- Assault and workplace violence is a less common workplace accident, but can nonetheless put employees at risk of injury or death.
Because Texas employers are not required to subscribe to workers compensation, some workplace accidents can leave workers paying for medical bills, specialty equipment, physical therapy, and medication completely out of pocket. For workers who cannot immediately return to work after an accident, the lost wages produce an additional financial burden.
Catastrophic workplace injuries can happen to anyone. While there are precautions employers and employees can both take to decrease the likelihood of an incident, accidents do happen. After a workplace accident, you may have many questions, but it’s important to remember that you have certain rights under the law.
Workplace Accident Attorneys in Houston
After a workplace accident, you will likely have many questions about how your accident happened and what courses of action are available to you. The workplace accident attorneys at Craft Law Firm have helped injured workers across the country get compensation for injuries caused by another’s negligence. Call us for a free consultation.