Houston Paralysis / Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer
What Are Paralysis & Spinal Cord Injuries?
A spinal cord injury or paralysis is damage to any part of the spine or nerves that often causes permanent changes in your strength, movement, sensation, and other functions. In many cases, these types of injuries can be permanent and change the patient’s life forever. It can seem like every aspect of your life changes after sustaining paralysis or spinal cord injuries. You are likely to experience the effects of your injury in all areas of your life, including emotionally, physically, and socially. The Christopher and Dana Reeve Foundation estimates that over 1.2 million Americans live with paralysis that resulted from spinal cord injuries. A Houston spinal cord injury lawyer at Craft Law Firm can help fight for you.
Paralysis injuries can be put into the following categories:
- Monoplegia – paralysis of a single area of the body
- Hemiplegia – affects an arm and leg on the same side of the body
- Paraplegia – paralysis below the waist, affecting the legs, hips, and lower body function
- Quadriplegia – paralysis below the neck, also know as tetraplegia
Do You Need a Houston Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer?
The nerves of the spinal cord control a number of critical functions, such as walking, breathing, body temperature, intimacy, and even bladder control. Victims who suffer a paralysis or spinal cord injury suffer a wide range of serious and potentially permanent health issues after their accidents. Victims of these injuries can file a lawsuit to recover damages for:
- Decreased quality of life
- Pain and suffering
- Psychological harm
- Past and future medical bills
- Rehabilitative care, including physical therapy
- Long-term care
- Lost earnings and earning capacity
- Punitive damages, should the guilty party be found to have acted in a grossly negligent manner
Examples of Paralysis & Spine Injury Cases
Car accidents are the leading cause of spinal cord injuries in the United States. According to the CDC, auto accidents are responsible for 46% of all spine injuries. A paralysis injury lawsuit may result from a number of unfortunate circumstances, including but not limited to the following situations:
- A car, truck, motorcycle, or bicycle accident
- Slips and falls
- Workplace accident
- Falls from a height
- Injury related to defective consumer products, such as automotive component parts
Houston Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer
The Texas statute of limitations is two years for most spinal cord injuries, and varies in other states. This means in Texas you have two years from the date of the injury to file a lawsuit against the responsible parties. If you or a loved one has suffered from a paralyzing injury due to the negligence of another, a Houston spinal cord injury lawyer at Craft Law Firm can help. We will investigate your case to determine who was at fault for your injuries and provide you with aggressive legal representation to help pay for the damages you have suffered. Contact our legal team today for a free consultation of your case.